Friendship lies on the coast of Maine, in Knox County, on a penninsula between the George's River and the Waldoboro River. The town of Friendship was first settled in 1743. It grew and prospered as a fishing-based community and was eventually Incorporated in 1807. The town currently houses 1100 permanent residents, however, in the summer the population swells to about 2500, when seasonal residents return.
Friendship Village School was originally built in 1922. At that time it was under the jurisdiction of Thomaston Schools. It housed grades 1-8, with four full-time teachers and two grades being taught per room. In October of 1967, Friendship Village joined MSAD #40. Shortly thereafter, in 1968, grades 7 and 8 were moved to A.D. Gray Middle School in Waldoboro. In 1970, Kindergarten was incorporated into the school. An addition was built onto the school in 1987. Four new classrooms, triangular in shape, as well as an office complex, a gym and a new kitchen were all part of the new wing. Their "Percent for Art" was used to install two stained-glass portholes at the school.
Currently, Friendship Village School enrolls 100 students. The School Mascot is a dolphin. We have eight, full-time classroom teachers and one half-time special education teacher. Several itinerant teachers come in on a weekly basis to teach special subjects such as art, music, physical education and band. Three, regular, full-time support staff run the office, kitchen, and maintain the building and grounds. Two educational technicians support our library and special education students.
Friendship is represented by two MSAD #40 School Board Members Brooke Simmons and Errol Silvestri.